Friday, August 3, 2007

My first festival in Japan

I just had to come and write about this straight away. Right near my home there is a festival on from the 3rd to 6th of August. It was so awesome. It is friday night here and also the school holidays. So it was packed. There are stalls lining the streets and loads of decorations hanging from the lights and outside shops. I had an interesting dinner of these octupus balls....no not what you are thinking. There were bits of octupus inside this soft layer of kinda like wet bread. Sounds awful but it wasnt. Then I had a sweet toffee thing that wasnt so nice. Some of the activites that the kids were doing were catching little goldfish with these nets that break if you arent careful. It is a game. Many of the kids were dressed up in Jinbay (the shorts and top set) and many kids and adults were in yukata (summer kimono). Even men were wearing jinbay and yukata. It was really great. I took lots of photos and will post them on facebook later.

I was the only westerner there as far as I could see. When I got to the end of the street, I saw two western guys but that was it.

It was really awesome. Am going to go again tomorrow night and try some different food this time. Not sure when there is a parade but there is one near my work so i think i will go to that one tomorrow.

All very exciting.

No comments: